Add to my Old Favourite RecipesPrint Add to My Inbox Go to My Inbox
Poached Egg with Dijon Butter
This was one of those fabulous little creations that happened when I was hungry and had "nothing to eat"!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives can substitute with dried
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 large handful salad greens optional
- Mix together butter, Dijon and chives in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Poach egg (I prefer the microwave method).*
- In the meantime, smear about 1 tablespoon Dijon butter onto a plate. Cut avocado in half. Slice avocado lengthwise and remove flesh from skin. Try to keep slices intact. Place avocado onto the plate, with the hollow side up to create a "bowl". (If this is too fiddly, just place avocado slices on top of the smeared Dijon butter).
- Fill avocado "bowl" with poached egg. Serve with salad greens on the side.
- *Microwave Poaching Method: Place egg in a small microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup water on top of the egg. Place a lid or plate on top of the bowl, making sure to tilt the lid or plate to create a vent for steam to escape. Microwave 30 seconds. Check doneness and continue to microwave in 10 second intervals until egg is cooked to desired doneness.