Add to my Old Favourite Recipes
Print Add to My Inbox Go to My Inbox
From a friend of a friend of a friend - 40 years ago when pepperoni was considered exotic!
Servings 4 people
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 x pepperoni thinly sliced
- 2 x thinly chopped brown onions
- 6 x tomatoes or 400g tin of whole tomatoes
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans or any other of choice
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- In a large pan cook onions in oil until clear.
- Add the sliced pepperoni and heat through.
- Strain and rinse kidney beans and add.
- Add tomato and tomato puree. Season to taste.
- Simmer for 25-30 mins.
- In the meantime cook rice, salt and water in microwave in large covered casserole 12-14 mins.
- Allow rice to stand until pepperoni is ready.
- Serve pepperoni over rice generously sprinkled with chopped parsley.
- You can add spinach to the mix for more greens.