Another fabulous Low Carb / veggie packed alternative inspired by the lovely Luise at Green Kitchen Stories.
Have definitely replaced these Cream Cheese Tortillas as my go-to when I get a craving for anything Mexican. Even my Irishman loves them!
takes 30 minutes
2 medium zucchini (300g / 10oz)
50g (2oz) grated parmesan
50g (2oz) almond meal
1. Preheat your oven to 200C (400F). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Grate zucchini coarsely using a box grater or your food processor. Place in a medium bowl with the parmesan, almond meal, egg and a big pinch of salt. Stir until well mixed. Then divide into 6 scoops. I use a 1/3 cup measure to do this.
3. Place each scoop of mixture on your baking tray. Then use your hands to form each pile into a tortilla shape about 10cm (4in) diameter.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown. Serve warm.
Variations & Substitutions
Short on time – use lettuce leaves or cabbage leaves as your tortillas instead.
egg-free – I haven’t tried it but these should work with ‘flax eggs’.
more substantial (carb lovers) – use regular tortillas
Low FODMAP – replace almond meal with ground sunflower seeds or low FODMAP flour.
nut free – ground sunflower seeds or use flour or soft bread crumbs instead.
different veg – should work with any grated veg like carrots, parsnip cauliflower, beets, broccoli. Or a mix of these.
dairy-free / paleo – replace parmesan with extra almond meal.
Recipes to Use Your Tortillas
- Smoky Pork & Chipotle Cabbage ‘Tacos’
- Fish Tacos
- Chickpea ‘Chilli’
- Chilli Con ‘Tuna’
- Mexican Roast Eggplant with Green Chorizo
- Mexican Eggs
Waste Avoidance Strategy
zucchini – will keep for 2 weeks or longer in a plastic bag in the fridge. To keep it even longer, cook sliced zucchini in a little butter until just soft then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
parmesan – keeps for longer in a chunk so only grate when you’re cooking. I wrap in waxed paper or baking paper and then keep in an airtight container or a sealed ziplock bag. I prefer this over just wrapping in cling wrap because the air in the container allows the cheese to breathe and not sweat but the container / plastic bag prevents from drying out in the dry fridge air. Either way will keep for months.
almond meal – keep in the pantry.
eggs – will keep in the fridge for weeks or use for another meal.
Best when warm straight from the oven. If you want to make ahead you could ‘par cook’ for 15 minutes then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. When you’re ready to serve cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and warm. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks or can be frozen.