One of my favourite prep-ahead veg combos. I usually follow one of the spice recommendations below. Perfect for when you need a comforting healthy alternative to a big bowl of pasta!
Roast Cauli & Onion
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 onion sliced
- Preheat your oven to 250C (480F). Chop cauli florettes into bite sized chunks and slice stems. Chop onion in half lengthwise. Peel and finely slice each half into 1/2 moons. Place veg on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle over 3 tablespoons olive oil and lots of salt. Toss to coat the cauli and onion in the oil. Pop the veg in the oven and set your timer for 15 minutes.
- When the timer goes, stir veg and return the tray to the oven, setting the timer for 5 minutes.
- When the timer is up, stir and check on everything. If the cauliflower is browned and no longer crunchy you can remove but if not, pop back in for another 5 minutes.
Recipes to Use Your Cauliflower
- Roast Cauliflower Hummus
- Roast Cauli Soup with Bacon & Blue Cheese
- Chunky Cauli & Sausage Soup with Parsley Oil
- Cheesey Cauli & Bacon Bake
- Spiced Roast Chicken & Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Maple Dressing
- One Pot Cauliflower, Chicken & Peanut Curry
- Miso Harissa Roast Cauli
- Spiced Roast Cauliflower Salad with Labneh
- Cashew & Cauli Mash
- Roast Cauli with Meatballs & Tahini Sauce
Variations & Substitutions
Spices! – toss in with the oil. I love 2-3 teaspoons curry powder, or 2 teaspoons ras el hanout or 2 teaspoons baharat, or 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Also good with chilli flakes or crumbled dried chilli.
onion-free – just skip it. Easy.
Waste Avoidance Strategy
cauli (whole) – will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge for weeks. To keep for longer, chop into florettes and pop in the freezer. If you have time, grating the cauli before freezing will make life easier so you can just defrost and serve.
onion – will keep in the pantry for months. Best if in a dark corner in a brown paper bag.
A must! Just cook as per the recipe. Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or can be frozen. To serve, allow to defrost first before using in one of the recipes above.