Life-Changing Cauliflower Seed Loaf
This recipe was inspired by Sarah Brittons ‘Life-Changing Loaf of Bread‘. I remember being so disappointed when I read through her ingredient list and saw that Sarah’s bread was mostly rolled oats. Not low-carb. Bummer. But the idea of a loaf packed with seeds and nuts stayed with me. After making my cauliflower pizza a few weeks ago I had the brain wave to try a cauliflower and almond base for my dream seed and nut loaf. Et voila! Not only life-changing but also packed with veggies. Yay!
My only warning is if you want to toast this, do it under the grill (broiler) rather than making a mess of your toaster. It’s also lovely pan fried in a little butter to crisp up the outside.
makes: 1 loaf
takes: 80 minutes
500g (1lb) cauliflower (1/2 large cauli)
150g (5oz) almond meal
100g (3.5oz) linseeds (flaxseeds)
100g (3.5oz) sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
150g (5oz) extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Line a loaf pan 24cm x 12cm (approx 9.5in x 5in) with baking paper.
2. Whizz cauliflower in your food processor until finely chopped and looking like rice. Add almond meal, linseeds, sunflower seeds, baking powder, salt, eggs and oil to the food processor bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan. Smooth the top with a spoon.
4. Bake for 60 minutes or until lovely and golden brown and the loaf feels springy and firm to touch.
5. Remove from the oven and leave for a few minutes before removing the tin and cooling on a rack to stop the bottom going soggy.
nut-free / budget – Replace almond meal with finely ground sunflower seeds (I use a little coffee grinder) or ground linseeds. Will take longer to bake.
different seeds / nuts – feel free to use whatever combo of seeds or nuts you have.
no seeds – you can skip the seeds and almonds if you prefer a less chunky loaf.
higher fiber – add a few tablespoons psyllium or oat bran. You could also add extra ground linseeds (flax seeds) or chia seeds – or whole seeds for that matter.
olive loaf – toss in a handful of pitted olives before baking.
chunky feta – replace the almonds and sunflower seeds with 200g (7oz) diced feta.
herby – add a tablespoon of chopped rosemary, thyme or sage.
no food processor – grate cauli using a box grater or finely chop by hand.
different veg – try grated zucchini, carrot, beets, sweet potato (carb alert!), parsnip (carb alert!) or broccoli.
Shelf Life / Storage
Keeps for 1-2 weeks in the fridge or indefinitely in the freezer (I slice it before freezing so I can defrost under the grill or in a pan).